Drowning is a silent nationwide epidemic. Why?
In schools today there are fire drills, tornado drills, active shooter drills and in Illinois they even have earthquake drills, but little to no water safety education.
Unfortunately each year more school aged children will drown than die from fires, tornadoes, school shooters, and earthquakes combined. Why?
Please help the GLSRP eradicate drownings through our fundraiser for a “Water Safety School Curriculum”.
You can read about our cause and donate here: https://www.crowdrise.com/watersafetyschoolcurriculum/fundraiser/glsrp
WATER SAFETY SCHOOL CURRICULUM
The Fundraiser will cover costs to develop a water safety, drowning prevention, and dangerous current survival ‘pilot curriculum’. The pilot curriculum will be taught in schools in the same format as the Fire Prevention Services, “Stop, Drop, and Roll”. The pilot program will also include a Family Swimming Experience Survey, pretest, posttest, training booklets, and training videos. Once successfully piloted, the curriculum can be rolled out to schools in the Great Lakes regions, the Midwest, and then as a national curriculum.
The pilot program for will be targeted and tailored to five audiences:
- Instructors for “Flip, Float, and Follow”
- 6 year-olds, 1st Grade
- 12 year-olds, 7th Grade, junior high
- 16 year olds, 10th Grade, sophomore year of high school
- Parents of each targeted age group
SPONSORSHIP WILL FUND:
- Production of instructional materials, videos, and booklets
- Family swimming abilities survey
- Pretest – To determine current knowledge about rip currents and rip current survival strategies
- Posttest – To determine that the knowledge of the presentation was understood and easily retained
- Logo design
- Training booklet – to complement presentation and to educate parents
- Water safety and rip current videos
- Rip current video demonstrating Flip, Float, and Follow.
- Updated beach signage
- Copyright and Trademarks of created materials
OBJECTIVES OF CURRICULUM
Students in each target group will be able to:
- Understand that drowning is a leading cause of injury and death
- Understand the dangers around pools, rivers, lakes, Great Lakes, and oceans
- Assess their current swimming abilities and ability to float
- Know what the Instinctive Drowning Response is
- Know the signs of drowning (Hollywood Version vs. Actual Version)
- Understand how and describe how, where, and why waves occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
- Understand and describe how, where, and why dangerous currents occur on the Great Lakes and oceans
- Understand how to survive a drowning accident
FOR A NATIONAL WATER SAFETY SCHOOL CURRICULUM
Please Sign and then Share through your email and Social Medias. Petition Link: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/national-water-safety
We believe that drowning is 100% preventable and we believe that we, as American’s, should prevent drowning 100% with a National Water Safety School Curriculum!
The World Health Organization (WHO) says that drowning is a neglected public health issue and very few seem to listen. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) drowning is one of the leading causes of accidental death!
So why does drowning get very little attention or funding? What’s missing? A National Water Safety School Curriculum!
REMEMBER: In schools today there are fire drills, tornado drills, active shooter drills, and even earthquake drills, but very little water safety education.
YET more school aged children will likely die drowning each year than in fires, tornadoes, school shootings, and earthquakes combined. Combined!
A Water Safety School Curriculum is the fastest approach to reach the largest audience and make a significant impact in the shortest amount of time